Friday afternoon, actually probably right around the time that I was blogging, a beautiful old synagogue downtown near my college caught fire. No one was injured, and that is always absolutely the most important thing; however (at least this is what I hear) out of twenty Torah scrolls, they were only able to save four.
A Torah scroll is next thing to a human life. It is written by hand, and can take up to a year and roughly thirty thousand dollars to produce. The Torah is so close to being a life that there are those who will count it as the tenth person in a prayer quorum.
Still, even knowing all that didn't really bring the tragedy of the day home to me. What really brought it home was when I was leaving Chabad after dinner, and saw city police carefully watching the building. It was the second time that night that I had noticed them, and all of a sudden it clicked that the city was carefully protecting its Jews because no one was sure how this fire had started.
I'm very glad the city in which I spend most of my time cares enough to send personnel to make sure its people are all safe, but I wish to God it didn't have to!
I can't even begin to have words.
"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."
I believe in God.
I believe in God.
- ► 2016 (111)
- "OCD" and the Making of a Tallit Katan
- MAJOR MILESTONE
- MORE BREAKING NEWS
- BREAKING NEWS
- I Can't Even Begin to Have Words
- Miscellaneous Updates
- Hannukah Project Update
- Milestone Moment
- Hannukah Project
- Rosh Hodesh Heshvan and Embracing my Incides
- As Promised...
- Kippah Clips--In Style!
- My Hannukah Gift to Myself
- Indices of Me
- ▼ October (15)
- ► 2014 (71)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (89)
- ► 2011 (94)
- ► 2010 (47)
- I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!