Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Friday, April 5, 2019

A New Psalm to Add to the "Favorites" List, and a New Sabbath Tradition

Prior to today, my favorite Psalms, and the ones in which I found the most meaning, were #19, #23, #91, and #148.  (I named this blog after #91.)  Favorite quotations from each (Artscroll translation):

#19: "In their midst He has set up a tent for the sun, which is like a groom emerging from his bridal chamber, it rejoices like a powerful warrior to run the course."

#23: "Though I walk in the valley overshadowed by death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me."

#91: "He will charge His angels for you, to protect you in all your ways.  On palms they will carry you, lest you strike your foot against a stone."

#148: "Praise Hashem from the earth, sea giants and all watery depths.  Fire and hail, snow and vapor, stormy wind fulfilling his word.  Mountains and all hills, fruitful trees and all cedars.  Beasts and all cattle, crawling things and winged fowl.  Kings of the earth and all governments, princes and all judges on earth.  Young men and also maidens, old men together with youths."

Anyway, today during my morning Bible reading after prayers (I try to read at least one Bible chapter every morning, and I am in the book of Psalms right now), I "discovered" Psalm 18.  I quickly decided it needed to be added to the "favorites" list.  Here are some of the best (in my own personal opinion) lines:

"And the earth quaked and roared, the foundations of the mountains shook..."

"He mounted a cherub and flew, he swooped on the wings of the wind."

"For it is You Who will light my lamp, Hashem, my God, will illuminate my darkness."

"For with You I smash a troop, and with my God I leap a wall."

Always so wonderful when my Judaism grows! Also, as of last week, I have a new Sabbath tradition.  The Sabbath ends so late now (past 8), I needed something to do in the afternoons.  In my neighborhood is an Oceanside promenade.  There are benches to sit on, and the sea breeze is refreshing.  Last week, I decided I would go, timing the walk and then spending three times that amount of time once I got there.  (Twice to "reimburse" the walk, plus one extra to actually make it all worth it.)  I packed my phone so I could do some internet surfing.  This week I think I will bring my phone and my Bible, so I have a choice of activities.

Last week I did meet someone who wanted to talk religion (sparked by the women and kippot question).  That's always fun for me so I did some of that.  This week, who knows? It's an adventure.

All in all, pleased with my religious existence right now, and looking forward to the Sabbath tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!