Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Beautiful New Mitzvah

I have taken on a beautiful new mitzvah (commandment): that of arba kanfot.  "Arba kanfot" literally translates to "four corners" and refers to a four-cornered undergarment with tzitziot (holy fringes) hanging at the corners.  Traditionally, it is only worn by men, but as you may have gathered by now, I don't do the "gender thing" when it comes to Judaism.

Most men who wear arba kanfot wear them with the fringes hanging out.  I am wearing mine tucked in to avoid unwanted attention.  As a woman, if I walked down the street in visible tzitziot I would inevitably get stares, questions, and worse.  That's not why I'm doing this.  I am not wearing arba kanfot to attract attention; I am wearing arba kanfot because I believe that they will help me connect to God.

And here is a picture of a set of arba kanfot, from Google Images.  (This set actually looks almost exactly like mine.):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!