Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

A Commitment to Mourning in Loving Memory

So ever since Yom HaShoah (which was really only a few days ago, though it seems like longer), I have been thinking about what I wanted to do next year to mark the day.  First I thought I would like to fast, the way we do on Tisha B'Av (commemorating the destruction of the Temples), but then I found out--first from a sort-of friend whom I do not trust, then from a Rabbi I trust very much--that it is forbidden to fast in the Hebrew month of Nissan, which contains both Passover (the 15th to the 22nd) and Yom HaShoah (the 27th).  Back to square one, so to speak, I had to think again.

I thought about my kippah collection.  I picked out my most somber looking one--ultra-Orthodox style, black velvet with ribbon trim--and decided that from here on out, I will wear it three times a year, and only three times a year: Yom HaShoah, Yom HaZikaron (Israel's memorial day for fallen soldiers, taken much more seriously than we take ours), and Tisha B'Av.  Yom HaZikaron begins this Tuesday night and will go through Wenesday, and I can't wait to start my  new tradition.

And here are pictures of the kippah in question:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!