Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Thursday, June 7, 2018

NIghtgowns

I tend to think that some of my prettiest clothes are my nightgowns.  Certainly they are on par with everything else, and I truly enjoy wearing one each night.

I have two sorts of nightgowns: for cold weather and for warm weather.  The cold weather ones were bought second, winter of 2014/2015, but I am talking about them first because I photographed them first.  That winter, for my first warm nightgown ever, I desperately wanted a red one; I was picturing a stereotypical, flannel type nightgown.  However, when I searched "red nightgown" on Google, the cheapest option I could find was 40 dollars, plenty expensive enough.  I suspected I would like it enough to get in two colors and just have those as my winter nightgowns, but just in case, and because it was so different from what I had been picturing, I only ordered one: the red one.  I did in fact like it that much, however, and in short order ordered the purple one as well.

These nightgowns are sleeky, slinky, slippery, and graceful.  I wear a size medium, and on me, the sleeves reach my wrists and the hem brushes the floor.  The nightgowns are not very good, however, at keeping my legs warm on the coldest nights: this winter (2017-2018), I finally relented and bought fleece pajama bottoms to wear under the nightgowns.  I wear red polka dot pajama bottoms with the red nightgown; and pastel pink, with a sheep print, pajama bottoms with the purple nightgown.

Here is a picture of my winter nightgowns (corresponding pajama bottoms packed away because the weather is consistently too warm for them now; also note that I consistently like the purple one better, because purple is my favorite color):

The summer nightgowns were bought earlier on, in summer 2014, when I first started insisting on skirts/skorts, dresses, etc. only.  They cost 15 dollars a piece, in Walmart.  Although  now I am very much in a pink phase--and wish one of them were pink--at the time I was very happy that neither was pink.  These are also size medium; however, because they are for summer, they hang only to my knees; and one is short sleeved while one is sleeveless.

Here is a picture of my summer nightgowns (right now I like the blue one, on the left, better):

Recently, it has suddenly become a lot more important to me to have pretty, quality nightgowns.  This is because I have begun again to daven shacharit (morning prayers) upon waking.  However, I now take a shower in the morning as well.  Wet hair ruins tefillin (phylacteries; they are made of leather) so I must daven before I shower.  In that moment, of course I am still wearing a nightgown.  I feel bad about approaching God in a nightgown and corresponding bedtime kippah; the least I can do is have pretty ones.

I am also enjoying planning my outfits a couple days in advance right now.  Tomorrow (really today already; posting this at a weird hour because I can't sleep) I am wearing the "modesty trainer" skirt (called that because it is sort of short, and very tight, and forces modest movement) with a free red t-shirt from my undergrad and a maroon silk kippah with embroidered flowers. 

Friday, I am wearing my long pink print skirt (which I really think may be my favorite), my "house that Abraham built" t-shirt, and my lavender suede kippah.  I used to hate and avoid the suede kippot; but now I find that they have their time and place, like every other style of kippah. 

 Saturday's casual outfit (obviously I would wear fancy clothes to synagogue, but I have been in too much pain to make it there recently) is still up in the air; either I will base it around picking the skort first (the purple one) [and then I would wear a blue t-shirt, and my blue embroidered silk kippah] or I will base it around picking the kippah first (the big, rust-colored, Ugandan one) [and then I would wear my long brown skirt, and possibly my brown-shades tie dye t-shirt, or possibly a red t-shirt].


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!