Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Friday, May 17, 2019

Proudly Displaying Kippot, Part Five of Seven

Today I show you my blue kippot.  I own more blue kippot than any other single color.  (Only my "business" stack has more, 24, and those are all different colors, united by size.  Blue is my most represented individual color.)  This is because blue seems to be the most popular color for freebies at B'nei Mitzvah.  ("B'nei Mitzvah" is the grammatically correct Hebrew plural for more than one Bar Mitzvah, or for a mixed gender grouping of more than one Bar and Bat Mitzvah.)  Most of my blue stack--I think all except three--were picked up at these types of events.

Two additional notes before I show you my collection of blue: number one, tomorrow evening when I show you my purples you will finally see the one I picked up at last week's Bat Mitzvah.  Tomorrow is another Bat Mitzvah, and I intend to pick up another freebie, #58 in my collection.  I will work out how best to show it to you when I actually know what it looks like.  And number two, I think I have picked out my kippot for my trip with JS at the end of the month.  I intend to wear my cactus print kippah (for the first time!) Friday the 31st.  I intend to wear the one JS bought me as a birthday gift (shown in this post) Saturday June 1st, and I think I will wear my penguin print kippah Sunday June 2nd.

Anyway.  See blue kippot below.

This is one I picked up at a Bat Mitzvah at my current synagogue.  Just counting my freebie kippot, I seem to have been to 12 B'nei Mitzvah there so far.

I actually picked up this one at a Bat Mitzvah hosted at my undergrad.  (Parents were alumni.)  This was only my second blue one (who could dream that stack would grow to 10?) so I was happy to have it.  It was handmade by the Bat Mitzvah family, and it has its own internal clip...which I've never figured out how to work, but it's there.

Freebie from a Bat Mitzvah at my current synagogue.  This is really a high end freebie.  It's hard to see in the picture, but it is crocheted; as discussed yesterday, crocheted kippot, in bulk, do not come cheap.

This is the one JS bought me for my birthday! I picked it out and he paid for it; I think he figured I was more likely to get what I wanted that way, rather than if he tried to pick it out and surprised me.  JS wants me to pick out a new one for him for his birthday (in six months).  He's been wearing the same one for 10 years, and it I falling apart.  Somehow he does not trust himself to shop for this himself.  After going back and forth with him for a few days, I think we have settled on Superman as the motif.

Picked up from a Bat Mitzvah at my local synagogue.  I had some kind of sickness that day and couldn't stay, so I saw none of the service (not even the beginning parts typically led by someone other than the Bat Mitzvah girl), but I wanted to keep it anyway.

This is an embroidered silk by Yair Emanuel.  It is the second of three purchased blue ones; and it was my first, and for a long time only, blue one.

Free from a Bat Mitzvah at my local synagogue, a fairly recent one though I don't remember the exact date (and yes, it is the style referred to in my family as the "Bat Mitzvah Beanie")...

Free from a Bar Mitzvah at my synagogue (so a "Bar Mitzvah Beanie")...

Free from a Bar Mitzvah at my synagogue.  (Another "Bar Mitzvah Beanie!")

A spectacular, hand embroidered hat by designer Yair Emanuel.  I wanted this one for literally years before I managed to actually acquire it.  This was part of my college graduation gift (along with my penguins kippah and my Sabbath/holiday candelabrum).  It is supposed to portray Jerusalem; while I don't like wearing Jerusalem, this hat is so stylized no one would know, so it's OK.  The truly fabulous part, which unfortunately you cannot see in this picture, is the rim; a series of buildings is embroidered all around, with none of them repeating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!