Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Proudly Displaying Kippot, Part Seven of Seven

This is the final post in this series, my "earth tones" kippot: my blacks, whites, grays, browns, and the occasional metallic.  There are eight of them.

This one is plain gold raw silk, a very simple Yair Emanuel design.  When I need to get really close to God, and it feels safe, I wear this one: in ways I don't understand, it makes it easier to form a spiritual connection with God.

This is a black velvet from my younger brother's Bar Mitzvah.  Fun fact: I had to sew most of the lining back on myself.  The stitches are black, and they disappear into the velvet, which is nice.  And no, I do not have one from my older brother's Bar Mitzvah.  I was only nine, and not collecting yet.

This is a white "wedding beanie" given to me by my ex boyfriend.  A white one is very convenient: I can wear it to synagogue on Yom Kippur, when it is traditional to wear white; and in the meantime, it matches with other things.  This coming Sabbath is time to wear my pink and white synagogue outfit again; I'm toying with the idea of wearing this kippah (with pink flowered clips), to match the skirt.

Free with my older brother's Bar Mitzvah prayer shawl, by designer Gabrieli.  I "rescued" this one from a laundry basket a few summers ago.

Actual US military issue, from the last set of uniforms (the digital camo ones).  I had to sew this one's lining back on too, and the stitches did not disappear as well.

Actual ultra-Orthodox style.  I originally bought this one to thumb my nose at the ultra-Orthodox, as a woman wearing one of "their" kippot.  No one gets the joke.  Ultra-Orthodox Jews who see me wearing it just think it's a kippah, because they've never seen any different; and the people who might appreciate the joke don't recognize this as ultra-Orthodox style.  Anyway, this one has a much more serious purpose: I now wear it on days of Jewish tragedy (Holocaust Remembrance Day and Israel's Memorial Day), as well as on fast days other than Yom Kippur.

Made in Uganda! Uganda's Jewish community makes these and other handicrafts as fundraisers for various community projects.  Last I heard, they were raising money to build a synagogue, with a daycare center so that for the first time mothers could be something more; however, that was many years ago, so they might have completed that project by now.  At one point, I was considering spending a year at their Rabbinical school; I would have been the only woman to stick it out and the first White student ever.  Mainly due to maintenance of my bipolar disorder, this plan did not work out; this kippah makes that sting a little less.  In point of fact, this is the one I am wearing today, with a "brown tones" (long brown skirt, T-shirt tie dyed in shades of brown) outfit.

My "Kol Nidre" kippah! Kol Nidre is the beginning prayer service of Yom Kippur, Day of Atonement.  This one is big enough to be a holiday evening hat, and it is mainly white, the color of Yom Kippur.  I found this one in my family's drawer; no one was wearing it, so I claimed it.  And yes, I really do only wear this one on Yom Kippur evening, so just one night a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!