I woke up one day last week with the deep desire to pray with a minyan. (A minyan is a prayer quorum of ten Jewish adults--Orthodox Jews will only count men.) My problem was that I wanted to wear my tallis and tefillin, which in Orthodox circles are only worn by men, and the minyanim that meet daily on campus are both Orthodox.
But I didn't let that stop me. I went to the Rabbi of the Orthodox minyan at Hillel and asked permission to pray with them wearing tallis and tefillin. This morning I got an official yes! I was so excited, happy, and triumphant.
My experience this morning was an intimidating breath of fresh air. Intimidating because I was the only one on the women's side of the divider (!) fumbling around in a prayer book with which I am not very familiar. (I know Sim Shalom, the Conservative movement's prayer book, like the back of my hand; this one, however, was published by Artscroll, an Orthodox publishing company, and the layout is very different.) The breath of fresh air part came because I am fed up with praying in my room, as if I have something to hide or of which to be ashamed. It was so...nice to be with a community.
And you know what? Those guys really are community. Several of them made a point of saying good morning to me afterward.
Veni vidi vici. I came. I saw. I conquered.
Jew-Girl for the win!
"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."
I believe in God.
I believe in God.
- ► 2017 (58)
- ► 2016 (111)
- ► 2015 (85)
- Your Prayers, Please?
- "To tell of Your kindness in the mornings, and You...
- A Plea for Prayer
- Two Big DIfferences Between Judaism and Christiani...
- Dirty and Sinful, or Holy and Beautiful?
- Jewish Music and Liturgy
- "Plan B"
- "Shabbat is [almost] Here, Shabbat is [almost] Her...
- World Down Syndrome Day 2014
- Flooding my Blog with Pictures of "Jacob"
- Heartstopping News
- God's Beautiful Plan
- Yelling, Shouting, Screaming, Breaking Down Doors
- Yelling for "Jacob"
- Really Happening
- Minyan Man (or Woman)
- A vcery interesting social phenomenon...
- I Came, I Saw, I Conquered.
- Rosh Hodesh Adar II
- ▼ March (21)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (89)
- ► 2011 (94)
- ► 2010 (47)
- I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!