Today, March 21 2014, is World Down Syndrome Day, and I feel obligated to produce a nice meaningful blog post. To be honest, my posting record since finding out about this observance has been somewhat abysmal: in 2013 I missed it completely, and in 2012 I just talked all about the Reece's Rainbow child I had then, "Rheann" in R*ssia.
Anyway...here I go, diving in in an attempt to produce something meaningful. This post will probably evolve as I write it, because currently I have no idea what I am going to say.
At the risk of sounding trite, idealistic, or just plain ignorant, I will share that one of my life goals is to adopt and raise a child with Down Syndrome. I don't know why; I just feel drawn to helping children with special needs, and Down Syndrome in particular.
I'm going to cheat on producing something meaningful myself and just share the link to a tear-jerking video, a reminder of what is possible for a child with Down Syndrome to achieve. This video will also remind you that even if a child with Down Syndrome never achieves much by the standards of the world, he/she is still precious and important.
Here is the link:
And, as promised yesterday, I close with the other picture of my "Jacob" (who happens to have Down Syndrome, so ties in nicely with the theme of the day!)
"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."
I believe in God.
I believe in God.
- ► 2016 (111)
- ► 2015 (85)
- Your Prayers, Please?
- "To tell of Your kindness in the mornings, and You...
- A Plea for Prayer
- Two Big DIfferences Between Judaism and Christiani...
- Dirty and Sinful, or Holy and Beautiful?
- Jewish Music and Liturgy
- "Plan B"
- "Shabbat is [almost] Here, Shabbat is [almost] Her...
- World Down Syndrome Day 2014
- Flooding my Blog with Pictures of "Jacob"
- Heartstopping News
- God's Beautiful Plan
- Yelling, Shouting, Screaming, Breaking Down Doors
- Yelling for "Jacob"
- Really Happening
- Minyan Man (or Woman)
- A vcery interesting social phenomenon...
- I Came, I Saw, I Conquered.
- Rosh Hodesh Adar II
- ▼ March (21)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (89)
- ► 2011 (94)
- ► 2010 (47)
- I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!