Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Book of the Twelve

At long last, I have finally finished up the Book of the Twelve, otherwise known as the the Twelve Minor Prophets.  When I thought about what I wanted to say here, I realized that the adjective coming to mind to describe this collection was "bipolar."  I do not use that word lightly, nor am I a fan of one-sentence blog entries, so I turned to my father (who is a Rabbi, and one of my Rabbinic authorities) for his view.

If I understand him correctly, my father, the Rabbi, explained that each of the Twelve Minor Prophets (if you believe that each book was written by the person whose name is attached to it) was facing major political catastrophe all around.  In earlier times, the solution to such issues was to just go worship the "more powerful god."  The prophets whose works make up the Book of the Twelve were trying desperately to get Israel to stay with the Israelite God, and that is why their emotional state is not always consistent.

It is worth noting that the Book of the Twelve marks the end of the Prophets section of the Hebrew Bible! (Our Bible is divided into three sections: Torah, Prophets, Writings.)  I am very excited to begin the Writings section, which is sort of a catch-all for things that do not fit anywhere else and, as such, is most diverse.  It begins with the book of Psalms.  Even though I read a psalm every day after I pray, I plan to read through this book (again) anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!