Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Super Sabbath (!!!)

This coming Sabbath (yes, I'm aware that it's Sunday, and there are six days to go; I do start anticipating the Sabbath this far in advance...but then, so do the psalms we say each day at the end of morning prayers) is going to be just spectacular, and that is for two reasons.

The more important/exciting reason is that "Shoshana" is finally coming to visit.  She is extremely curious about everything Jewish, and we decided together that the best way to satisfy her curiosity is just to have her come watch and/or participate in a Sabbath. She will witness all Friday night ceremonies; I will translate shorter blessings, and find longer ones in a prayer book with translation for her to read.  While I am praying, I will loan her the most basic work of Jewish theology I own, for her to flip through and pass the time.  Saturday, I am taking her to my wonderful synagogue.  It's going to be great; we're going to have fun.

The other reason is that this Saturday is Rosh Hodesh Elul, the beginning of the Hebrew month of Elul, leading up to the High Holidays in the following month.  You may recall that I found a wonderful Youtube recording of U'N'Taneh Tokef, by the Gevatron.  I have blogged multiple times about U'N'Taneh Tokef, so I will not go into detail; I will say, however, that to me, this prayer is the most special/important part of Rosh HaShanah services, and the second most important/special prayer on Yom Kippur.  I only allow myself to listen to the Gevatron recording from Rosh Hodesh Elul through Yom Kippur; I look forward to it every year.

So that is why I'm so excited for this coming Sabbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!