Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Talking Religion

I have noticed that many of the Christian blogs I read have a certain way of talking about/describing God and religion that I just do not encounter among Jews. Don't get me wrong; I love my people very much and am fiercely proud of my origins. It's just interesting, and a little bit frustrating, that many Christians will let their spirituality run free while almost no Jews will. A prime example is the title of this blog. It is inspired by a line from psalm 91 (my favorite psalm): "He will instruct His angels to guide you on your paths, to carry you in their hands lest you stumble on a stone." (Siddur Sim Shalom translation) Despite the fact that psalms are a major part of Jewish liturgy, the title "Carried in His Hands" has a distinctly Christian ring to it because the vast majority of Jews simply do not talk that way.

Now I would like to talk about an issue that is burdening my heart, and that issue is the number of people needing prayer for various reasons. The one problem I have with reading so many blogs (21!) is that sometimes it seems as though everyone needs prayer at the same time. I am human; I can only pray for a finite number of people, and that number varies. There was a time when I could handle up to seven, but that time is not now. At the moment I can only handle two: me (I really am going through a lot right now what with therapy, bipolar disorder, and chronic pain, so I do not feel guilty inclluding myself in my prayers) and my little Reece's Rainbow girl, "Erin." I would love to be able to pray for more, but the two of us are taking all my spiritual energy right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!