I think this is my record, three entries in one day; not sure I've ever done this before.
Remember "Dean"? I posted his picture with a blog entry, one of the first. ("Veronica" was very first; I think "Dean" might have been second.) Today I noticed "Dean's" picture no longer on the "At-Risk of Aging Out" page. Fearing the worst, I looked him up by name, and sadly the worst has happened..."Dean" aged out.
I knew his chances were against him; I genuinely did know. He had less than a month left when I got to him, he had a grainy picture, and he's male. All these factors make him less adoptable. Still, I feel a connection to each child I post, as if I am "getting to know" him/her. The children on Reece's Rainbow are not just pictures to me.
"Dean's" future is bleak indeed. Depending on the extent of his mental delays, he has two possible paths. Either he will go to a "trade school," to be trained in a menial trade with very little supervision, and he might (ten percent do...) commit suicide before his eighteenth birthday. If he is "too disabled" for that, he will be sent to a mental institution. My stomach feels sick just at the prospect...I've seen pictures, and these places aren't pretty, to say the least.
Maybe now you understand why I worry so much about "Dean" and all the others who age out.
But on that note, it's time to share one more. I wasn't sure I had the heart to continue the effort, and thought maybe I needed a break...but you don't get breaks when you're doing God's work in the world. So, please meet "CHARLENE," aging out NEXT JULY, and diagnosed with Down syndrome:
"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."
I believe in God.
I believe in God.
- Ta'anit Esther
- Semi-Devastation and my Brilliant Fix-It Idea
- My New Plan
- A Very Important Post (World Down Syndrome Day)
- A Note About Skirts/Skorts, and Jewish Pride
- Update on the Skirt Scenario
- Kippot, by Color
- A Negative and a Positive
- This and That: The Sequel: Mainly About my New Psy...
- An Unplanned Third Entry...
- "Daisy's" Visit Yesterday and Two Other Notes
- Selfie, Just Because, and What I Want for Hannukah...
- This and That
- Stream of Consciousness: Mostly Skirts, Daily Adve...
- The Coolest News Ever
- Bar-Mitzvah-Related Adventures and The Story of my...
- Disappointed--and Thrilled
- My View of God
- Pictures from Katherine's Visit
- "Fixed" the "Problem" and Katherine's Visit
- Yelling for "Christopher"
- Great Quotation!
- What I Know About My Future
- Ordered my Stationery and Too Close to God
- Four Items of Note and a Precious Realization
- ▼ March (27)
- ► 2015 (85)
- ► 2014 (71)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (89)
- ► 2011 (94)
- ► 2010 (47)
- I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!