I know--at least as firmly as it is possible to know anything about one's future--that one day I will adopt and parent a little girl with special needs, more specifically Down syndrome. I'll say it right out loud, right here, right now: adoption was never my "Plan A" for building a family. "Plan A" involved four healthy, biological children, and I am still grieving that loss.
But. But but but.
My "Plan B" could be God's "Plan A" all along, for we always say in our prayers that God is the God of the orphan.
My future "Plan B" family will look very different from how my future "Plan A" family would have looked. If I actually go through with this plan, adopting a little girl with Down syndrome, it will probably be hard enough that she will be my only child. If I have learned one thing through my own "special needs" (I don't like that term) or disabilities (that is the term I "like"), it is that children with special needs just need love and care like anybody else...and I can give that.
I know that this "Plan B" will be challenging. Adopting anyone is hard, for the child and the parent, and special needs make the process harder. But my "Plan B" is God's "Plan A"; it just took me a while to see it. Adoption, here I come!
And just by coincidence, it is time to share a Reece's Rainbow girl...so naturally, to fit with this post, I am sharing one who is diagnosed with Down syndrome. Please meet "CHANTELLE-ANN." In terms of when she's aging out, all her information says is 2001, but again, if she's on that page, she has at most EIGHTEEN MONTHS. As well as Down syndrome, she has crossed eyes.
"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."
I believe in God.
I believe in God.
- ► 2017 (58)
- Ta'anit Esther
- Semi-Devastation and my Brilliant Fix-It Idea
- My New Plan
- A Very Important Post (World Down Syndrome Day)
- A Note About Skirts/Skorts, and Jewish Pride
- Update on the Skirt Scenario
- Kippot, by Color
- A Negative and a Positive
- This and That: The Sequel: Mainly About my New Psy...
- An Unplanned Third Entry...
- "Daisy's" Visit Yesterday and Two Other Notes
- Selfie, Just Because, and What I Want for Hannukah...
- This and That
- Stream of Consciousness: Mostly Skirts, Daily Adve...
- The Coolest News Ever
- Bar-Mitzvah-Related Adventures and The Story of my...
- Disappointed--and Thrilled
- My View of God
- Pictures from Katherine's Visit
- "Fixed" the "Problem" and Katherine's Visit
- Yelling for "Christopher"
- Great Quotation!
- What I Know About My Future
- Ordered my Stationery and Too Close to God
- Four Items of Note and a Precious Realization
- ▼ March (27)
- ► 2015 (85)
- ► 2014 (71)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (89)
- ► 2011 (94)
- ► 2010 (47)
- I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!