Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Across the World

November is adoption awareness month, and all over the world, there are children in need.

This morning, I "visited" the Down Syndrome girls 10+ page on the Reece's Rainbow website. "My" "Rheann" is on this page, making it doubly painful to look at. I seem to have been mistaken about whether or not these children could keep their grants once they turned  ten: I thought they couldn't, but it looks as though they can. Regardless, these children are BEAUTIFUL, and I'm not just saying that. I know that I have only seen pictures, no video clips or real life action; I also know that there are MAJOR challenges to raising such a child. But these girls deserve a chance.

And then there are the children in Gaza and Israel living under constant rocket fire. I watched a video clip on Facebook last night of a little girl in Israel saying she almost stopped going to kindergarten because she was afraid of the rockets. I imagine that the children in Gaza are living under similar conditions. If you ask me where I side, I side with Israel, but as my friend "Margaret" pointed out, civilian deaths are always wrong and this violence needs to stop.

While the above problems are real and huge and grabbing one's attention (as they should), however, there are children living in other crises the world over. There is, for example, the AIDS crisis in Africa (about which I know nothing except that it exists) and the people living in shacks made from garbage etc. in Guatemala. (I've seen the pictures.)

What I'm trying to say is that the need is great and I can't do it all alone. I would love it if you could pick a cause and donate a little money today, but if you cannot, please just say an extra prayer or two. I am not Christian; I believe social action, not prayer, is the most effective way to help; in fact, I have no idea how much good prayer does or even if it does any good at all. I do know, however, that if I don't pray, I will be doing nothing to help and nothing good for which I can claim credit will happen. Put that way, how can I not pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!