Welcome!

"Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell your storm how big your God is."

I believe in God.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

I no longer know You: An Open Letter

Dear God,

Hurricane Sandy has left me questioning and questioning the "why"s and "how"s of Your existence. I do not doubt that You exist but I am in turmoil as I try to make sense of Your nature.

My home town was barely touched by the hurricane. I would say it was a miracle, but I have seen pictures of the damage elsewhere. To call what happened or didn't happen to me a miracle would be to say You ordained it. If You ordained my survival and lack of damage, then You ordained the power loss, the flooding, the deaths of hundreds--and that I am not willing to accept.

Rest assured that I will now be actively seeking for answers. Regardless of how much I am or am not praying ritually, I will continue to compose my own prayers as I read works of Jewish philosophy in search of You. I want a relationship with You, God, just not the one I have now.

Hurricane Sandy has knocked me over theologically, to the point where I can honestly say that I no longer know You. I know You exist, but not Who You are. To a certain extent I will never know Who You are, but right now I know it least of all, and I am sad and mad and bewildered.

I feel betrayed.
I feel hurt.
I feel lost.

Good night, God.

(I'm not signing this one "Love"),
Your Girl.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to talk my sweet friend. covenantb@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a response.
    I considered God's plans for people. That He does everything for a reason.

    And then it struck me that, as a person who is 100% confident in her non-religious life, it wasn't really appropriate.
    I hope you find a way to make peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please no hate speech or inappropriate language. Please remember to be polite. Thank you!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a bipolar, Jewish young adult (had my Hebrew birthday, the one I count, and turned 23 this past January) who also suffers from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I love life and I live for my best friends: they are my purpose and my reason for trying so hard. I remain passionately devoted to those I love; I will not let my disorders make me totally self-centered. I like to read, write, and sew. My Rabbinical school plans did not work out, and I am now hoping to go into the field of Early Childhood Education. Please note: I am currently maintaining only Carried in His Hands. Enjoy!